- A liberal arts or science undergraduate major or its equivalent
- A minimum 2.8 undergraduate GPA
- Three appropriate letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate course work
- A qualifying score on the Communication and Literacy Skills, the Foundations of Reading, and the Early Childhood Content of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure® (MTEL)
Deadline: Rolling Admissions - admission decisions are made on a rolling basis when completed applications are submitted within a reasonable timeframe prior to the start of the academic semester.
This program has been approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and includes licensure reciprocity with signatory states under the Interstate Certification Compact.
Students should consult the “Admission-Graduate ” section of this catalog for information regarding graduate program application procedures and admission standards. Students seeking initial licensure should consult the section of this catalog titled ”College of Education and Allied Studies “ for professional education admission and retention information and important institutional deadlines.
Students must complete 80 hours of prepractica experience. A 40-hour experience is attached to the introductory course. An additional 40 hours is attached to the professional courses: reading, language arts, mathematics and science/social studies.
Upon acceptance, all students must enroll under the direction of their advisor in GRPP 501 - Graduate Program Planning .
All three MTEL® must be passed as a prerequisite to professional semester courses.