Chairperson and Graduate Program Coordinator: Professor Arthur Lizie
Acting Chairperson (fall only): Professor Jabbar Al-Obaidi
Professor: Jason Edwards
Associate Professors: Jason Edwards, Bjorn Ingvoldstad, Melanie McNaughton, Susan Miskelly, Nancy Owens, Thomasena Shaw
Assistant Professors: Jessica Birthisel, Teri Del Rosso, Maria Hegbloom, Christina Hodel, Michele Meek Yongjun Shin, Hui Zhang
Location: Maxwell Library, Room 215
- BA in Communication Studies
Concentrations: Communication and Culture; Film, Video and Media Studies; Strategic Communication
- Communication Studies
- Film Studies*
- Public Relations*
* Interdisciplinary minor
The following program is currently inactive:
- Master of Arts in Teaching Speech Communication and Theater
Click on Academic Programs for program information and requirements.
The Department of Communication Studies is committed to providing excellent undergraduate programs for students at Bridgewater State University. The department offers a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Communication Studies. It provides students with a broadly based liberal arts grounding in history, structure, process, culture, social application and functions of human communication, and with the competencies required for effective communication in the 21st century. It also supports an integrated model of learning, relaxing the rigid boundaries between academic requirements, professional training and the liberal arts.
In addition, the Department of Communication Studies endeavors to:
- foster the student’s ability to integrate critical, theoretical and ethical perspectives in the field of communication and apply them to their professional, personal and civic lives.
- train students in analytical and critical thought, in oral exposition and argument in the literature of communication and in the research that supports it.
- provide through theoretical perspectives and practical experience, rich opportunities and preparation for careers in communication and media, for work in other fields for which communication is pivotal for success and for advanced study in communication.
Bachelor of Arts
The Department of Communication Studies strives to educate the residents of the region in the matter and practices of the field of communication and media with the following concentrations:
- Communication and Culture
- Film, Video, and Media Studies
- Strategic Communication
The honors program in Communication Studies provides highly motivated communication studies majors with opportunities to enhance their academic program through intensive scholarly study and research designed to be of assistance in postgraduate employment or in the pursuit of an advanced degree in communication studies. Contact the Honors Program Director, Melanie McNaughton (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information concerning eligibility and application.