Jan 28, 2023
Educational Leadership Licensure Programs, Postmaster’s
The postmaster’s program in Educational Leadership is designed for educators and other professionals with leadership experience who have earned a Master’s degree in education or a related field and wish to be licensed as school administrators (PreK-12). Students who successfully complete subject matter content knowledge and the required field experience are eligible for the following professions in school leadership:
School Principal/Assistant Principal (PreK-6)
School Principal/Assistant Principal (5-8)
School Principal/Assistant Principal (9-12)
School Business Administrator (all levels)
Supervisor/Director (all levels)
Special Education Administrator (all levels)
Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent (all levels)
Courses completed in the Postmaster’s in Educational Leadership program may be transferred into the EdS in Educational Leadership program after additional admission requirements to the EdS program have been met.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university (official transcript required)
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.8
- Completed application form
- Three letters of recommendation (one from immediate supervisor)
- An essay on the candidate’s philosophy of educational leadership and school reform
- Initial licensure in other area dependent upon administrative licensure sought in addition to all Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education administrative licensure requirements. Exceptions are granted on a case-by-case basis as approved by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Passing score on the Communication and Literacy Skills portion of the Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure® (MTEL).
Note: Conditional acceptance into the program may be granted if the passing score is submitted by the conclusion of the second semester in the program.
- Prerequisite experience:
- Completion of at least three full years of employment in an executive management/leadership role or in a supervisory, teaching, or administrative role in a public school, private school, higher education, or other educational setting accepted by the Educational Leadership program coordinator
- Additional requirements for directors, department heads and curriculum specialists in the core academic subjects at the secondary level (5-12):
- A master’s degree in the arts or sciences in one of the core academic subjects the candidate will supervise
- At least 18 credits of advanced graduate studies in one of the core academic subjects (English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, History, Reading, Foreign Language, Arts) the candidate will supervise
- Additional requirement for School Business Administrator: a minimum of two years experience in financial planning and/or accounting systems
Required courses (18 credits)
An electronic portfolio review will serve as the culminating performance assessment for licensure endorsement by Bridgewater State University.
Total minimum credits: 24*
*If candidate has SEI endorsement upon admission, EDLE 579 is waived, and 21 total credits are required. Additionally, on a case-by-case basis, an individual course may be waived to bring the minimum number of credits to 18.