Aug 15, 2020
Department: Biological Sciences
Students must receive a minimum grade of “C-” for the biology core courses, as listed below. Beyond the core, only one biology (BIOL) course with a grade below “C-” may be applied toward the major requirements. To qualify for graduation with a degree in biology, the student must have a major grade point average (GPA) of 2.3 or higher. The following courses may not be applied toward the Biology major and thus cannot be computed as part of the major GPA: BIOL 100, BIOL 110, BIOL 111, BIOL 112, BIOL 115, BIOL 117, BIOL 119 and BIOL 128.
In selecting courses, be attentive to the following:
- At least three of the biology courses taken beyond the core sequence must be laboratory courses .
- Only three credits in total of any of the following courses can be applied to the program: BIOL 396 , BIOL 485 , BIOL 497 , BIOL 498 or BIOL 499 .
- Both BIOL 373 and BIOL 251 -252 may not be applied toward the BS degree in biology.
- Both BIOL 302 and BIOL 395 may not be applied toward the BS degree in biology.
- Complete the Core Writing Designated within the Major requirement by selecting a course identified with (CWRM). A full list of courses meeting this requirement is included at the bottom of this page.
- Complete the Experiential Learning requirement by selecting at least one experiential course. A full list of courses meeting this requirement is included at the bottom of this page.
Biology core sequence (20 credits)
Cognate courses (28-32 credits)
Distribution courses (9-12 credits)
Complete one course from each of the following distribution areas (Cell & Molecular Biology, Physiology and Ecology and Evolution). A course can only count towards one distribution.
Cell and molecular biology (3-4 credits)
Ecology and evolution (3-4 credits)
Electives (9-12 credits)
Complete three additional biology (BIOL) courses at the 200-level or above. A course is defined as a minimum of three credits. Courses of variable credit must be bundled into units of three credits to count as one course. Courses taken outside of Bridgewater State University require departmental approval.
Writing Designated in the Major (CWRM) requirement
This requirement is satisfied by the completion of one of the following courses:
Experiential Learning requirement
This requirement is satisfied by the completion of at least three credits, selected from the following:
Total minimum credits: 69
Core Curriculum Requirements
A minimum of 120 earned credit hours is required for graduation. These earned hours include the Core Curriculum Requirements as specified in the Core Curriculum section of this catalog and at the Core Curriculum website, www.bridgew.edu/corecurriculum. For additional graduation requirements, see the Undergraduate Academic Policies and Procedures section of this catalog.