Program Educational Objectives
Contextualized within the BSU Mission, “not to be ministered unto, but to minister,” the B.S. in Photonics and Optical Engineering will prepare graduates to work with integrity towards solutions to significant world challenges through applications of photonics and optical engineering. The program will provide a strong base in foundational knowledge in physics, which graduates will apply throughout their careers. Specifically, by teaching the functions and design principles of photonic and optical devices, the B.S. in Photonics and Optical Engineering will provide graduates with skills needed to excel individually, contribute to regional economic growth and world challenges.
1. Graduates will have an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
2. Graduates will have an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
3. Graduates will have an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
4. Graduates will have an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
5. Graduates will have an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
6. Graduates will have an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
7. Graduates will have an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
* These are drawn directly from the 2021 ABET Requirements at https://www.abet.org/accreditation/accreditation-criteria/criteria-for-accrediting-engineering-programs-2020-2021/