Chairperson: Associate Professor Matthew Salomone
Graduate Program Coordinator: Professor Uma Shama
Professors: Mahmoud El-Hashash, Ward Heilman, I. Philip Scalisi
Associate Professors: Laura Gross, Shannon Lockard, Rebecca Metcalf, Kevin Rion, Polina Sabinin, Irina Seceleanu
Assistant Professors: Jacqueline Anderson, Stephen Flood, Vignon Oussa, John Pike, Rachel Stahl, Wanchunzi Yu
Location: Science and Mathematics Center, Room 431
- BS in Mathematics
Concentrations: Pure Mathematics, Statistics
- MAT – Mathematics
- Actuarial Science*
* Interdisciplinary Minor
The following program is currently inactive:
Click on Academic Programs for program information and requirements.
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
Since mathematics is both a cultural and a technical field of study, the curriculum is planned with the following objective:
- to introduce students to mathematics as an important area of human thought;
- to prepare students for careers in a wide array of industries and academia;
- to give preparation to students for graduate study in mathematics and related fields;
- to prepare students planning to teach mathematics at the secondary level;
- to serve the needs of students in fields which rely on mathematics, e.g., experimental sciences, social sciences and education.
Students interested in seeking Massachusetts teacher licensure should refer to the appropriate department links for options and requirements for second majors: Elementary and Early Childhood Education , Secondary Education and Professional Programs , or Special Education . Students should also consult Educator Preparation and Licensure Policies and Procedures for professional education admission and retention information as well as important institutional deadlines.
The honors program in mathematics provides highly motivated mathematics majors with opportunities to enhance their academic program through intensive scholarly study and research designed to be of assistance in postgraduate employment or in the pursuit of an advanced degree in mathematics. Contact the Department of Mathematics for further information concerning eligibility and application.